The Break Up List
Okay, I’ll say it. I’m thrilled by the Brangelina news. Elated. Giddy. Tickled.
It’s juicy. It’s messy. It’s KARMA bitch.
No, I’m not a cold-hearted cynic. I’ve rooted for many Hollywood unions, and I’ve been crushed by a long list of splits.
My fascination with the celeb break up began on a warm sunny day in 1991. Julia Roberts had ditched Kiefer Sutherland right before their wedding and run off to Ireland with his best friend, Jason Patric.
(Note: the Daily Mail wrote a story about this very event today. How’s that for timing?)
Fast forward 25 years. I’ve seen a lot of celeb love affairs go down the tubes, but these five were the hardest.
- Liev Schreiber and Naomi Watts: The wound is still too fresh.
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner: Some never liked this pairing. I went back and forth on it. I can see why she fell for him, and I understand how her rigidity probably drove him batty. But if I’m being honest, I’m still holding out for a reunion here.
- Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling: I was as excited about their real-life romance as I was about the off-screen love of Frisco (Jack Wagner) and Felicia (Kristina Malandro). Ryan may be married to Eva (as rumor has it), but a girl can still dream about this reunion.
- Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake: There’s nothing like young, virginal love. And we know Britney is crazy, but don’t you still wonder where it all went wrong?
- Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams: I had such a soft spot for these two. A movie set romance to a beautiful baby girl. They seemed so genuinely in love. And you know they probably would have found their way back together if he didn’t die way too soon.
And one final thought. I’d be remiss not to mention the original Bennifer – Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck. This romance was doomed from the start, and no one cheered loudly than me when their engagement ended.
Remember JLo – you can take the boy out of Boston, but you can’t take Boston out of the boy.